Saturday 26 June 2010

Great Gatsby for anonymous :)

The next book to be reviewed is 'The Great Gatsby' by F.Scott Fitzgerald (Penguin Modern Classics). This again I studied for my AS and I have to say it was my favourite. Set in the pretentious societies of East and West Egg the novel presents a cynical view on the American Dream and the appearance-obsessed world. Although some people argue that Gatsby is indeed not 'great', in my opinion he is of his own right as he builds himself up from nothing (okay so his methods aren't exactly legal) just to gain the love of Daisy who looks down on him because she INHERITED her riches instead of actually having to earn them. Okay so Gatsby uses Nick once or twice but only because he is so focused on his dream. Surely everyone should have dreams and instead of just waiting for them to come true they should actually take positive action towards MAKING them true.
So I guess you could say I like Gatsby's character. On the contrary, I loathe Nick. And Daisy. And Tom. In my opinion they represent everything that's wrong with the world. But hey thats my opinion :)
A character I do like is Owl Eyes. Not only is he very funny when being totally taken aback by the fact Gatsby has REAL books with ACTUAL pages, he turns up to Gatsby's funeral when no-one else of Gatsby's 'friends' do. So maybe there's hope afterall for those corrupted rich. But then again maybe not.
My favourite part of the book is right at the end when Fitzgerald writes "so we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back carelessly into the past" as it is such an amazing quote as being a 'boat against the current' was Gatsby in general but to me the quote means that you can fight all your life but in the end you're only going to do it all again.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you. I enjoyed reading your review. :)

    ReplyDelete